Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Poor Baby


I am sitting in the makeshift RSV NICU at Miller Children's Hospital. My poor 7 week old Presley has been suffering from what we thought was a cold for the past three days, that her big sister Giulietta kindly shared with her. After spending last night with her next to me in bed breathing erratically, I decided it was time to take her to Urgent Care. 
At Urgent Care, they promptly took her vitals, and did a breathing treatment. The doctor informed me that my little Sweet Pea had more then just a common cold, and would need to be seen by the hospital. He called ahead, wrote some orders, and sent us on our way. However, his diligence did not help the long drawn out process of getting our sweet little lady seen by a doctor. 

Once at the hospital, Presley was triaged by the staff and strapped down on a table for a few X-rays. Then, they placed us into a waiting room, which they wouldn't allow my husband into even though I asked for him. Presley and I waited, and waited, and waited as we watched other more alert and healthier babies be taken in. When I finally got up to inquire about when my lethargic, hacking, and unsteadily breathing baby would be seen, I saw that our name was no longer on the board. As soon as I processed that we were being forgotten, the flood gates opened and my blood began to boil. How could they forget my precious baby? 

I demanded to have my husband with me (after all, he is my rock), and I demanded to have my baby seen NOW! They obliged. We were placed in a bed in the ER, and the nurses began the work. The doctor came in after a while and told us that Presley had RSV and would be admitted into the hospital for a little stay. 
All we needed to do was wait for a bed upstairs. Seeing how the hospital is packed with sick little babies, we had more waiting in store for us. The doctor from upstairs came down, thoroughly checked out Presley, and explained the details of RSV and her treatment. You see, RSV is Respiratory Syncytial Virus. It appears as a common cold, but can quickly turn into pneumonia like symptoms. If you are interested in learning more about RSV, read about it here: 
babycenter
In Presley's case, she has a severe cough, vomiting, low oxygen level, low grade temperature, and lethargy. If RSV isn't enough for our poor love to have, she also appears to have a double ear infection. 
Immediately after Presley's doctor left, she received her first breathing treatment, which left her breathing with ease. 
After a few hours of waiting for a room, and Presley receiving two breathing treatments in addition to her antibiotics, she is now resting peacefully.
Today has been a tiring, and heartbreaking day. No mother wants to see their child sick. No mother wants to watch an X-ray tech strap her babies legs together on a table. No mother wants to watch a nurse poke around in her babies tiny hand to find a vein. No mother wants to be where I am sitting at this present moment!

However, with the excellent care here at Miller Children's Hospital, Presley will be back to her smiling self in no time at all. And, I will be able to sit at home cuddling on the couch worry-free with my girls and their Daddy! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, I am listening!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...